LAKSHADWEEP DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY REGULATION (LDAR), 2021
Lakshadweep and the Andaman and Nicobar islands are India’s precious islands.
The beauty of biodiversity, wildlife and nature here is unique and cannot be seen anywhere else in India.
The island is a neat town with no garbage seen on the roads.
Here are a few places untouched by the human race still in its purest form.
WHAT IS THE AREA OF THE LAKSHADWEEP ISLAND?
Lakshadweep is made of 35 tiny yet beautiful islands. These islands are really small. The total land area of the islands is only 32.62 sq km. The area of some of the islands is smaller than a town on the mainland.
It is islands are situated around 300 km from the Kerala Coast
WHAT IS THE POPULATION OF THE LAKSHADWEEP ISLAND?
The total population is only about 60,000 people as per the 2011 census.
HOW IS THE GOVERNMENT FORMED IN LAKSHADWEEP?
The political framework consists of only 3 levels – there is an MP in Lok Sabha, second, there are local self-governments in the form of Panchayats and the third is an Administrator appointed by the President.
WHO GOVERNS THE LAKSHADWEEP ISLAND?
The Island till 2020 was governed by bureaucrats, after the death of Dineshwar Sharma, an IPS office.
A politician Praful Khoda Patel has been appointed in his place as the Administrator of Lakshadweep.
WHAT ARE LDAR 2021 AND ITS PROVISIONS?
1. The Draft Lakshadweep Development Authority Regulation, 2021 or LDAR 2021 was announced with several changes through its official website.
2. The administration proposes to change the existing land ownership on the island.
3. It has plans to obtain arbitrary and unchecked powers to the government. Thus, obstructing the habitant’s right to own property on the island.
4. The regulation allows the Government to pick any land for commercializing any activity.
5. The government can use the land that is picked, which it deems fit. That means the owner of the land would have no control as the land would be utilized for public convenience.
6. This draft also says that the development would include deeds like construction, engineering, mining, or making any material change anywhere on the land, either totally or partially of any piece of land.
7. As per the development plan no one can question the government on this plan nor proceed legally.
8. A ban is applied by this regulation that anyone having more than 2 children cannot contest the Panchayat elections.
WHY IS LDAR 2021 BEING OPPOSED?
As per the citizens, the following are the reasons for the displeasure of the residents:
• As the 10 inhabited islands were under a two-month lockdown because of Covid, the Lakshadweep administration has exploited the inability of the people to oppose the regulation on time.
• The inhabitants feel that these regulations are not resident friendly and out of context with the social and ecological desires.
• Many islanders also believe that LDAR has been issued to appropriate small holdings of properties owned by islanders for favouring real estate interests.
• The islanders are under panic that the LDAR may forcibly evict them from their properties.
• The Regulation has bought in full unquestionable power to the Government to interfere with the rights of the islanders to cease their property.
• The Beef Ban Act has been introduced to the people of Lakshadweep buying or selling beef products, thus interfering in their traditional life.
• The Goonda Act is brought into the island, while there is a negligible crime rate.
• The regulation is revoking the restrictions placed on alcohol consumption on the island for the benefit of tourists.
• The leadership of Praful Khoda Patel did away with the mandatory quarantine on the inbound travelers, thus bringing COVID 19 into the island and affecting more than 6800 cases during the year.